Are You a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery?
By Benjamin J Boudreaux M.D. on December 29, 2014
A lot of men and women believe that naturally large breasts are a blessing, but if you are reading this blog post right now, you are probably not among them. In fact, you are probably contemplating breast surgery right now because you wish to have smaller breasts for any number of reasons. Perhaps you are in pain from the weight of your breasts, or you simply want to bring your breasts into improved proportion with the rest of your body. Maybe you’re just tired of the unwanted attention you draw from strangers. If you’re like many women with extremely large breasts, you probably have several reasons, including some that are highly personal. Whatever your reasons, Dr. Benjamin Boudreaux has the experience, skill, and keen aesthetic eye to help you.
Throughout his career, Dr. Boudreaux has performed many breast reduction surgeries, giving his patients the opportunity to look and feel trimmer, healthier, and more self-confident. At his office in New Orleans, breast reduction candidates are carefully screened to ensure that they are physically and psychologically well suited to the procedure. To find out whether you are a suitable candidate for breast reduction surgery, we invite you to meet with Dr. Boudreaux for a one-on-one, confidential consultation today.
What is breast reduction?
Breast reduction is a surgical procedure in which the breasts are made lighter and smaller through the removal of excess fat, skin, and other tissues. While the procedure offers cosmetic benefits, it is often performed for health reasons and is therefore covered under many insurance plans. Unlike breast lift surgery, which is performed in order to improve the profile of breasts that have begun to droop, the sole purpose of breast reduction is to make the breasts smaller, lighter, and more proportional compared to the rest of the body.
Are you a good candidate for breast reduction?
There are several traits that all breast reduction candidates must share in common. These include:
- Good enough health to undergo a major surgical procedure
- Reasonable expectations for the outcome of the procedure
- Willingness and ability to follow all of Dr. Boudreaux’s pre- and post-operative instructions
- Full understanding of the risks of the procedure, including the risk of scarring
Otherwise, your candidacy will depend on your reason or reasons for wanting to undergo the procedure. These reasons may overlap with some of the common reasons many other women have for undergoing breast reduction or may be highly personal. Some of the more typical reasons include the desire:
- To alleviate physical pain, including back, neck, and shoulder pain and the pain from bra strap indentations
- To reduce unwanted attention from strangers as a result of having large breasts
- To fit into a wider variety of clothing
- To be able to lead a more active lifestyle, including participation in sports, without their breasts getting in the way
- To have more proportional figures
- To feel more attractive and comfortable in their own skin
If any of these reasons apply to you, then you may be a good candidate for breast reduction.
Learn More about Breast Reduction Candidacy
To learn more about whether you are a good candidate for breast reduction surgery, please contact Northshore Plastic Surgery today.
Related to This
“From Dr. Boudreaux's wonderful bedside manner to his amazing staff, I could not have had a better experience! I have recommended and will continue to recommend Dr. Boudreaux to my clients and friends.” - Ruthie