Achieve a More Balanced Profile with a Chin Augmentation
A chin augmentation at our New Orleans, LA, practice can enhance and refine the shape of your chin for more balanced facial proportions. At Northshore Plastic Surgery, we can help you achieve your cosmetic goals with this procedure alone, or in combination with other facial surgeries, such as a full facelift or rhinoplasty. During this procedure, Dr. Benjamin Boudreaux and Dr. Jeffrey Claiborne will place an appropriately sized implant in your chin to create a more defined jawline and balanced profile. This simple cosmetic procedure can have a major impact on your overall facial appearance.
Chin Augmentation Candidacy
You may be a candidate for a chin augmentation if:
- You have a small chin
- Your nose is prominent
- Your neck is fleshy
- You have a double chin
- Your chin is pointed or squared
During this procedure, Dr. Benjamin Boudreaux and Dr. Jeffrey Claiborne will place an appropriately sized implant in your chin to create a more defined jawline and balanced profile.
Chin Augmentation Procedural Steps
The surgery can generally be completed in one to three hours, depending on the complexity. The chin augmentation procedure involves four main steps.
- Exam and Consultation: Dr. Boudreaux and Dr. Claiborne will thoroughly review your medical history and perform a detailed exam of your face and chin to determine your candidacy. They will also provide preoperative and postoperative instructions to follow to optimize your recovery. They will also review your overall cosmetic desires to better understand whether additional cosmetic procedures should be added to help you achieve your goals.
- Sedation and Anesthesia: At your procedural appointment, you will be given anesthesia to ensure your comfort throughout the procedure. Depending on the type of procedure performed, you will be placed under general anesthesia, or be given oral sedation and a local anesthetic.
- Incisions and Implant Placement: Dr. Boudreaux or Dr. Claiborne will then make a small, discreet incision inside your lip or under your chin. They will then make a pocket in the facial tissue and carefully insert the silicone implant. Implants can be shaped and altered to fit the exact proportions of each patient.
- Closing the Incision: Once Dr. Boudreaux and Dr. Claiborne are satisfied with the placement, they will close the incision with sutures and apply bandages or tape.
What to Expect During Recovery
Due to the anesthesia involved, you will need to enlist someone to drive you home after surgery and stay with you for the first 24 hours. It is not uncommon to experience some swelling, bruising, and limited chewing for the first few weeks, but you can manage any discomfort by taking medications as prescribed and following your postoperative instructions.
Exterior stitches will be removed at a follow-up appointment about a week after the procedure, and interior stitches will dissolve in about ten days. After about six weeks, once swelling has subsided, you will begin to see the final results of your enhanced profile. With Dr. Boudreaux’s and Dr. Claiborne's experience and precision, they can help you achieve a smooth recovery as well as excellent results.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your profile, a chin augmentation can help improve your facial aesthetics and boost your confidence. Contact our practice today to schedule your consultation.